I have been inspired by my sister in law, who blogs over at www.saraboisvert.com to create a new post. You see, it has been awhile since I posted over here on my website. What have I been up to you might ask? Filling my mind with so many great ideas and knowledge that I don’t know what to do with it all! Honestly. I attended the doTERRA annual convention in Salt Lake City at the beginning of September and I am still trying to re-organize myself after that trip. I have been teaching lots of essential oils classes and attending events, all the while trying to get back into the swing of things with homeschooling, healthy eating, fitness and the general maintenance of our home (or getting rid of the stuff we don’t need so we have less clutter). You see, it is very hard to find the time to sit down and write or organize my thoughts with all of this going on. Right now, my mind is so full that I don’t even know where to start. I have a vision for my business that I am trying to sort through and plan but also a vision for our family. I am a planner, I like to write things down and visually see how everything is laid out. Lately, I haven’t been able to do that and it drives me nuts!
Anyways, onto the real reason for this post. My sister in law recently turned 30 and posted 30 life lessons that she has learned so far. Check out that post here.
Although, I already turned 30 a few years ago, (I literally always have to calculate how old I am because I forget ALL. THE. TIME.) I am going to share some of my life lessons thus far….I don’t know if I will have 30 to share but here goes…
1. Take care of your body and your health. It is the most precious thing you have. Eat all the good foods (enjoy some treats along the way) but pay attention to what you are putting into your body and where it comes from. This is important, we all should know where our food/products come from and what is in them.
2. Nothing will ever compare to giving birth to my children. It was truly the most amazing thing I have ever done. It made me realize how strong and how amazing our bodies truly are. I kept another human being alive with my own body for 9 months (plus another 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding…) that’s pretty darn cool! I actually did this 4 times!!
3. Don’t try to fix someone else’s problems or grief. (I borrowed this one from my sister in law, because it’s true) Simply listening or being there for someone is the best thing you can do. Sometimes people just need a supportive friend and not advice.
4. Don’t be afraid to cut some people out of your life. Sometimes you have to. Really.
5. Don’t get so attached to material items that they bring you down. Truly a life of minimalism can bring you so much joy. Not being attached to your personal belongings and instead taking trips or spending quality time together with family and friends is worth more than any gadget or toy.
6. Don’t let society tell you what you have to do. Really. Just because something has been done a certain way for years and years doesn’t mean you have to do it that way. There are other ways to make money, educate and live that don’t involve following the “herd” p.s. Don’t just go against the grain to be cool, or trendy…do it because it is something you believe in and value.
7. Never stop learning. Keep reading books about interesting things, concepts and places. Visit, travel, explore and ask questions. Question everything. Then question some more.
8. Try new foods. Never say you don’t like something until you give it a fair try.
9. Keep an open mind when introduced to something that is new to you. It may seem odd or scary at first but give it a chance.
10. Slow down. I mean really slow down. Why do we have to be so “busy” anyways, it’s stressful and no good for our bodies. Practice meditation. Do some Yoga. Or just sit. It’s good for you and your soul.
11. If you are married. Don’t forget why you got married in the first place. Date your husband, be best friends. Fight if you have to but find solutions together to keep discussion flowing. It’s hard to do with young kids taking all your time. Trust me, I know, but you have to make time for each other and not get lost in the day-to-day.
12. Admire other people, leaders and mentors but don’t try to be them. You can’t. There is only one YOU in this world. Take some of their life lessons and guidance and make it your own.
13. Never underestimate the power of a hug.
14. If you are told something is impossible, it’s probably not. Look at all the angles and figure out a way around it.
15. Don’t pay attention to what people say about you. Surround yourself with people who build you up, not people who bring you down. You don’t need that kind of negativity.
16. Embrace social media for what it is and how powerful a tool it can be for your life and your business. Don’t let it run your life and don’t read all those negative comments. At the end of the day we all know those pictures are mostly glossed over anyways.
17. On that same note, for all you stay at home mom’s and dad’s…don’t fight the internet like I did! It can actually be a great tool when used properly and allow you freedom and flexibility in your life. The opportunities are endless.
18. Spend time listening to good music. Whatever your version of “good music” is.
19. Don’t use people just to get what you want. Be a true friend and be sincere. People can tell when you are faking.
20. Always take time to breathe deeply and remind yourself to enjoy the moment that you are in now. It will never happen again and it’s not good to live your life for “someday”. Do things now and take time every day to just enjoy everyday moments.
Ok, so that’s only 20 BUT it took me about 2 weeks to finally sit down and put it all together. I’ve been jotting down thoughts as they come to me since I really haven’t had any undisturbed time to just sit and write. I’m sure I haven’t mastered all of these but they are little life lessons I have picked up along the way and try to keep in mind often.
I would love to hear from you. Do you have any great life lessons to share?